Sunday, May 3, 2009

IT"S A GIRL!!!

Kensington Blair Tobler was born April 28th at 1:48 pm. She was 6 lbs 12 oz and 20.5 inches long. She has a lot dark hair and looks a lot like Maddy did as a baby. The labor and delivery was very fast; in fact too fast. Once things were started and labor began it was less than 2 hours until Kensi's birth. And of course I asked for an epidural and there was an emergency C-section going on and so the anesthesiologist was busy, but I wasn't far from delivery. So they had to find another anesthesiologist from somewhere else in the hospital and by the time she got there it was almost too late. The first attempt at the epidural didn't work; so she had to try again even though I was fully dilated and Kensi was coming out whether I wanted her to yet or not. So, basically I got an epidural but had none of the benefits. I had wanted to wait for it to kick in before pushing, but with each contraction she was on her way out. I went numb finally after it was all over. It was by far the worst pain I have ever experienced and cannot believe mom's choose to go through childbirth without medication.

Needless to say it was very exciting to find out that we had a new little girl. The doctors were nervous about her lung maturity still, so extra precautions were taken for her birth in case she needed any medical attention. Luckily she was perfectly healthy and didn't need any extra medical attention. I had to stay in the delivery room a little longer than normal because of the late epidural, so I was eating as soon as they took Kensi to the nursery. I was not going to wait any longer. And yes I can eat and drink and am great! The nausea was pretty instantly gone; just as the doctors said it would be.

Maddy has been thrilled with having a new sister. We called the kids after she was born to let them know and Maddy kept telling me she was right; she knew it was a baby girl. Camden's first question was if I had had a snack yet and if I threw up. The kids are doing great with Kensi. Maddy loves to hold her and give her kisses and hugs. Camden loves his new sister but doesn't find her quite as exciting. He never mentioned anything about a boy baby until today. He asked where the other baby was; if it was still at the doctor's. I asked him what baby and his reply was the boy one you didn't bring home yet. I guess he is still holding out for a brother.

Kensi is truly a great baby. She sleeps and eats great. In fact last night she slept 6.5 hours and the night before was 5; so hopefully she will continue that. She is very mellow and really hardly ever cries. We know that her addition to our family is a great blessing and nothing less than a miracle. We really appreciate all our friends and family that helped us so much during the pregnancy. Without the support we received I am not sure we would have made it. I can now say that she was definitely worth it and I wouldn't trade her for anything. We are so grateful that she is healthy and a part or our family!!!

6 comments:

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

Ok seriously...you are not supposed to look that great after having a baby! You look so good and she's beautiful. Congrats! I'm so glad that she's healthy and you can eat again. Keep posting so we can see more adorable pictures. All your kids are so cute!

Ras Family said...

I am glad that she is healthy and that the labor went fast. I am glad that you are able to eat and keep things down now. I wish you a speedy recovery and she is beautiful and I love the name.

Mark and Tawni said...

What a beautiful little girl. She is so cute and we are so happy to hear that everything is going so well. We love you guys and can't wait to meet Kensi.

Julie said...

Congratulations! We are so excited to hear that she is healthy and that you guys are doing well. And I'm so glad you can eat now! We can't wait to see her.

Michael and April said...

Congratulations! Your little family looks so happy and cute! It's nice that Kensi seems to be a mellow and happy baby...hopefully she stays that way since the pregnancy was so difficult

Chelsea said...

Congrats! I hope you have a quick recovery. Enjoy your cute kids!